SJWC’s Best Furry Friends Group is hosting the PAWspectives Writing Contest, to recognize creative writers, inspire joy, and support two local animal charities, 13th Street Cat Rescue and Silicon Valley Pet Project. Submissions are being accepted from October 15, 2020 to November 15, 2020 and are limited to 500 words. All genres (poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction) and levels of writing experience are welcome. The submission fee of $5 is a direct donation for the charities. Submissions will be judged by the charities. Three winners will be announced on December 15, 2020. Winning entries will be published on our website, on social media, and announced via email, and share in a $500 prize pool.
What is your PAWspective?
The perspective we gain from our furry friends is often overlooked during times of uncertainty. We may take our pets for granted or forget that their lives have changed amidst the chaos outside. When we pay attention, they can give us the gifts of perspective and insight, help us wade through these unknown times.
In 500 words or less, tell us how your furry friend has impacted you or been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and the past seven months of isolated living. You can write from your perspective or of your pet’s perspective. Optionally include a photo of your furry friend.
For example, from the perspective of your pet, consider what they may be thinking or feeling. How are they part of your routine? How are you a part of their routine? What do they think of you being home all day? Have they noticed things are out of the ordinary? Or from your perspective, what has your pet taught you: patience, compassion, unconditional love? How have they kept you safe or provided comfort in times of stress or sadness?
How to Enter the Contest
- Enter the contest by donating $5 to support 13th Street Cat Rescue and Silicon Valley Pet Project.
- After your payment is complete, click Return to Merchant and the contest entry form will be available to you.
If the form does not appear, access it here (note submissions without payment will not be accepted)
- We encourage new and emerging writers to submit.
- Submissions are limited to writers in the United States.
- Must be 18, or your parent or legal guardian must submit on your behalf.
- Submissions must be unpublished and original.
- Submissions must be in English, or an English translation must accompany the piece.
- Multiple Submissions are welcome.
- A $5 submission fee is required for each submission. Scholarship opportunities exist for those who have financial limitations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- This is a hidden-identity contest. All identifying information will be removed before your submission is reviewed by the judges.
BFF New Beginnings
Lisa Buchanan and John Blair
Marion Hatland, for all precious ones that have passed
Lynda Sereno, in honor of my PAWsitive Pal, Lucky
Betty Sleeth, in honor of my companion Jessie
Please consider sponsoring
We are seeking sponsors to help fund the prize pool and raise funds for our supported animal charities. All sponsor donations are fully tax-deductible. Sponsor levels begin at just $25.